Sunday, September 13, 2009

Why I Love Readers

bookmagicThanks to everyone who commented on my blog this past week for all your kind words and good cheer. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that there’s so much good energy around the upcoming release


You all had such lovely things to say about Simple Wishes too! I couldn’t be more grateful. If you’re a writer, then you know what the lifestyle is like–it can be very quiet. Sometimes it feels like time stands still, like I’m writing inside of airless glass jar, like the books I write go out into the world and are then gone. When you share your comments with a writer, it feels like poking a hole in the lid of that jar–at least that’s how it feels for me. I love to hear your thoughts and always welcome them!


Another reason I love to connect readers is because readers are such interesting people! I love readers because you have big, bold imaginations. Because you have the amazing capacity to care for, hate, cheer for and cry for characters–for people–who don’t even exist!


I love readers because your experiences go far beyond the experiences of reality, because you are interesting people to talk to, because you tend to know a lot of weird things. If we’re chatting and I learn that you’re a reader, I’m instantly interested in what you’re reading and what you have to say.


To me, readers always seem likely to be generous and kind–an earnest bunch. I like to meet people who are not afraid to wear their hearts on their sleeves, to be unapologetically dorky.


I love readers because you know the value of quiet, of not being plugged in, of concentration, of learning. Even while everyone seems to be saying that the book biz is on its way down, you readers are still out there, buying books, keeping the novel alive and well. For readers, loving books is a lifelong adventure, and as long as there are stories to be told, I know you’ll be reading.


And maybe the biggest reason I love readers is because I’m a reader too. :)


ARC Giveaway
On to new business. Let’s pick a winner!! I’m so excited to give away an ARC of It Happened One Night.


The winner, chosen blindly and completely at random not by me, is commenter #72:  Shelli Fiorenza.


Congrats Shelli! E-mail me your contact info so I can send you the ARC: lisa @ lisadalebooks.com.


LOVE TO READERS: Obviously I’ve made some broad generalizations in this blog post. Care you throw your own into the ring? What do you like most about readers?


Share/Save/Bookmark


No comments:

Post a Comment